Falls from heights is the leading cause of fatalities on NSW construction sites, and unsafe scaffolds are a significant contributor.
SafeWork Inspectors will be out in-force from September to December 2022 focussing on scaffold safety and talking with principal contractors and site supervisors about:
- protecting workers on scaffolding for the entire job
- restricting unsafe access to incomplete scaffold
- missing components - planks, ledgers, hop ups, mid rails
- having a competent person check the condition of the scaffold before use with written confirmation and at least every 30 days
- stopping unlicenced workers removing scaffolding parts
SafeWork will continue to take a zero-tolerance approach to workers lives being placed at risk from falls from heights and unsafe scaffolds.