Join the MBA and get great discounts and other member benefits
Forgot password?Contact us if you have issues logging in.
By 1907, the MBA needed a permanent home. Accordingly, the head office was moved to the Builders Exchange, Castlereagh Street, Sydney, where it remained for nearly 50 years.For many years the affairs of the association were managed, and its objectives pursued, by a full-time secretary assisted by clerical staff and dedicated members. The MBA of NSW/CSMBA affiliation, combined with an increase in trade union activity, led to the appointment (in November 1953) of Mr L R Ball, the first industrial officer of the MBA.The basic wage had been subject to automatic increases until in 1953, it was pegged. This led to numerous union campaigns for basic wage increases. The years 1953-1955 were industrially turbulent; in 1954 the MBA applied unsuccessfully for the state deregistration of the Building Workers Industrial Union (BWIU); in 1955 the unions campaigned successfully for “wet weather” payments; and continued disputes about the basic wage led to the introduction by the Federal Court of a total wage requiring ‘work value’ cases.The Sydney Division of the MBA was established in 1956. Mr W J Bryant, who had been President of the Council of Suburban Master Builders Associations, was the division’s foundation President.On 1 January 1957, all metropolitan and country units of the MBA, hitherto called branches, became divisions of the MBA. As the number of members continued to grow, larger office premises were needed. In 1960, therefore, the association transferred operations to a new building at King Street and Carillon Avenue, Newtown, where it remained for 20 years.In May 1962, the Association’s Legal and Contracts Department commenced with the appointment of Mr Raymond Woodward who had had a distinguished academic career and achieved a notable reputation in the building and construction industry. The 1970’s was a period of growth and expansion for the MBA. The staff of the Legal Department was increased in response to various legislation, including the Builders’ Licensing Act, 1971. The turbulent industrial relations environment created by the Green Bans campaign and the activities of the BLF “Vigilante” squads led to increases in the Industrial staff. During 1972-1974 the MBA successfully pursued the de-registration of the BLF.In 1972 the MBA began publishing its own magazine. The Education and Training Department of the MBA was established in October 1974 and since that time has provided leadership in this regard to the building industry.A notable example is the series of lectures conducted throughout NSW by the MBA to advise the building industry on the mechanics of the Prescribed Payment Legislation related to Income Tax. This programme was conducted in association with the Australian Taxation Office and attracted more than 7,000 contractors from the NSW building industry.Another important example is the current series of Workplace (Safety) Committee Courses which are generally regarded as the most appropriate course for the building industry in New South Wales.Following a Pilot Scheme conducted during the period 1973-1976, the MBA Group Apprenticeship Scheme was created. During 1989 the number of apprentices currently employed under the Scheme exceeded 900.The Association’s current office premises at 52 Parramatta Road, Forest Lodge were officially opened on 20 November 1981.